Isaiah 43:18-21

Isaiah 42:18-21

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, now I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up, do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise."

"Jennifer Hock is a gifted speaker with an amazing and unique style of communication. Jennifer is a fabulous story teller, using her years of experience as a teacher & coach, her own personal life experiences, and everyday life situations, to convey the incredible love of God and His gift of grace, and mercy toward us.
Her greatest desire is to be REAL and to lead and encourage others to understand just how much God desires to have an intimate relationship with us, as well as the understanding of just how much the love of God can impact change in our lives to walk in the calling He has on your life." - A. Smith
contact: divineirrigationministry@gmail.com

Monday, October 10, 2022

To Be Present with His Presence

 


     As a teacher and in my position, I get paid to think ahead. I get paid to plan, to think ahead for those things that could go wrong, to head off problems, to be strategic in managing my staff and students for the best possible educational outcome.  In my job it works and is beneficial. In life, however, the reality is that we cant fully do that because no one knows what tomorrow brings. There is an uncertainty. We can buy insurance, invest in retirement, plan our savings etc… but it still doesn’t solidify the future. Planning isnt a bad thing, we should all be prepared. However, when our mindset is so much on planning, preventing, analyzing the future or whats to come, we can miss what is in the present. We miss whats right in front of us. Fear is really good at stealing the present. Fear will destroy, distort and discourage you.  Fear will destroy your present moment, distort the rationale of your future, discourage you and attempt to steal your joy and hope. Fear is also direct disobedience to what God says, because He says not to fear. 

Over the last several months especially, Ive worked very hard at being especially mindful of my thoughts of the present. Trying to stop those moments, those spiraling thoughts, that tempt to press my brain ahead to worrying about the future and consume me. When that happens, I miss moments right in front of me with people I love. Some of them read me well enough to assist me in stopping those thoughts in their tracks when they see it happening. It’s usually a distant look I get on my face and they will say “where are you?” Or “where did you go?”

Im a nature girl. Its one of my favorite places to be. I love, especially, being out on the water. Gods creation is always somewhere I know I can stop and focus on the present. The sound of the paddle hitting the water, birds chirping, the waves crashing. The breaking of a branch, the sound and smell of a crackling fire, and the way the fire dances across the wood. The sound of laughter, a smirk, a smile, or glance , the sound of voices of those I love. Being present is a gift to yourself and those you love. 

Thinking ahead is not a bad thing unless your thoughts are soaked in fear and it suffocates you from being present. Fear is self absorption. Fear keeps you from seeing past your own kingdom walls to the good things He has provided for you presently. Being present means you trust Him to hold the future even when it doesn’t make sense or looks different than you ever imagined.  Being present means bringing down the walls, even if temporarily, to engage in His blessings and His purpose. 

Being present also means being vulnerable because it means exposing your heart and it feels risky. God has still ordered your steps just like he did Peters when he stepped out of the boat. You may not want to step out of the boat and be present, but Jesus already knows you, your thoughts, how your brain works. He knows how you will overthink and second guess everything. I am so incredibly guilty of this. He is still there though, waiting with extended hand. Seek Him first. (Matthew 6:33) You may sink enough to feel the water tickle your nose hairs, but the waters wont sweep over you. (Isaiah 43:2)

Keep your eyes on Him, stay focused, keep taking steps. As my best friend and I often remind one another, “we ARE gonna get to the other side” but won’t you want to be present when you get there?! Yes and Amen. 


"There are

only two days in the year that

nothing can be done. One is

called yesterday and the other is

called tomorrow, so today is

the right day to love, believe,

do and mostly live."

No comments:

Post a Comment