Isaiah 43:18-21

Isaiah 42:18-21

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, now I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up, do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise."

"Jennifer Hock is a gifted speaker with an amazing and unique style of communication. Jennifer is a fabulous story teller, using her years of experience as a teacher & coach, her own personal life experiences, and everyday life situations, to convey the incredible love of God and His gift of grace, and mercy toward us.
Her greatest desire is to be REAL and to lead and encourage others to understand just how much God desires to have an intimate relationship with us, as well as the understanding of just how much the love of God can impact change in our lives to walk in the calling He has on your life." - A. Smith
contact: divineirrigationministry@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Home Court Advantage

     Your team is down by a couple of points, with just a few minutes to go in the game. At this point, anything can happen.  Have you ever been to a game where the encouragement of the crowd, the coach, or the teammates, to one another, have made the difference between winning and losing?  I have been part of that exact scenario.  When I was in college playing volleyball, I remember our coach teaching us about momentum.  The team with the momentum would come out on top.  Whenever we found ourselves without the momentum and going down fast, we knew it could come down to one play.  This one play could then lead to a series of plays that could just steal the momentum from the other team so fast that they may not even know what happened.   I watched this happen time and time again.  Our coach would say "momentum" and we knew what had to come into motion, we had a choice to make.  It didn't however, come down to just the play, it really started with encouragement.  One word, comment, or gesture from one another, even the crowd, could make all the difference in the direction we were going.  This change did not only potentially effected our attitudes, but the final outcome. 
  Have you ever known someone who believed in you?  Someone who spoke words of encouragement and praise to you no matter what was happening in the present?  The kind of person who made you feel like you could do it, whatever "it" was?  Praise God, the Lord has blessed me with a small group of men and women in my life who do just that.  These are people, that not only encourage me, but love me enough to talk straight with me honestly and openly. Trust plays a huge role in these relationships....just like it does on a team.
It is a well known fact among  sports teams that anyone playing on their home court has the "home court advantage" because of all the "encouraging" that can take place by the home crowd.  Before the contest even begins, they already have the advantage.
To me, it is the same in life, or should be.  Maybe you have never been on a sports team, or have been a cheerleader in uniform....but what are you doing on YOUR home court??

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen (Ephesians 4:29).

   As a parent, teacher, and coach I have watched the difference just a word of encouragement can make in my own children, or those I am working with.  Its amazing to me what happens when you shine a bit of "sunshine" on what seems to be looking like a moment of gloom.  With both my kids being young, just a simple "you can do it" or smile when they look to get approval, makes a huge difference in getting them to step out in faith and keep plugging away at the task at hand.  Its like the "Little Engine that Could".  If I tell my little engines they can do it...they at least start to step out with saying..."I think I can, I think I can" to "I know I can, I know I can".  Sometimes all we need is a push "up the hill".
     Adults are no different...at least I am not.  I don't know anyone who hasn't needed encouragement on a regular basis, especially when facing something new, whether they would admit it or not, we all need it from time to time.  That being said, let me ask you this tough question:  Do you bring sunshine or gloom into the room?  Let me be the first to say, especially after listening to the news on a daily basis,  that there doesn't seem to be much sunshine in the world.  You, however, can be the light in this gloomy world.  Make your words a fountain of life. Be a positive person. Encourage one another.

The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life (Proverbs 10:11).

   Although not always easy, I LOVE to encourage people.  I thank God for the example of people in my life here in the last couple of years that have shown me " how its done".   First thing to do is to immerse yourself in the Word of God and pray.  Over time you will discover you CAN control the way you think, choosing to focus on some thoughts, and reject others.  It also becomes easier to separate the "life and death voices: in your life.  "Life voices" are those people who encourage you into your next season, "death voices" are those of the opposite.  The great thing, is that you get to determine which ones you allow to have an influence in your life, because we all know that everyone has an opinion. :)

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if any-thing is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things (Philippians 4:8).

     When you wake in the morning, ask God to help you focus on the positive and then hold every thought captive, rebuking the negative.
I personally, along with the Holy Spirits leading, look for ways to encourage people in a genuine manner, trying to speak and react in a positive manner.  This is a daily, hourly, minute by minute path to try and stay on.  I admit I have missed it many of times.   I can tell you that by being an encourager on a regular basis brings unspeakable joy to my heart.  I love people, and I love to love on them in any way possible....encouragement is one of my favorite ways to do it.  God is always looking for willing vessels to use in this very way.
   When someone comes to you with life's difficulties, do not respond with a "gloom and doom" attitude. Listen with compassion and avoid simplistic advice. Say something such as, "I know this is a tough time for you, but it won't last. Let me encourage you: God will see you through, and I'm here to help, too."

[God] comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God (2 Corinthians 1:4).

And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone (1 Thessalonians 5:14).


     There is no question that being the giver or receiver of encouragement, can make all the difference in the world, it has mine. I have also watched it happen in the lives of others.  Encouragement can completely change the momentum for the day of someone else, or how they may begin to look at their own circumstance.  May I encourage you today to begin, or continue, to be the "sunshine" with your encouragement to others in your life by focusing on the the things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable.  I pray that everyone who is around you, or gets the chance to cross your path may be made to feel as though they have the "home court advantage". God Blessings to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment